276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Freddie Mercury: A Life, In His Own Words

£4.95£9.90Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Another thing I love is the constant name-dropping (cue fan-girling when Phil Collins is mentioned) and the direct references to songs (cue internal CD player). The book covers Freddie’s origins and history, many and various subjects in between, and of course covers the fascinating journey of Queen, all from his unique perspective. I think the guys have done an excellent job of capturing Freddie's essence in this clever book: it's the closest any of us are going to get to the fascinating, mercurial man that he was. Emotions are a major factor from the tragic words of his fear about AIDS to his inspiring love of the music he wrote.

I can hear Freddie saying the quotes when I read them, his character and personality shining through . La semana pasada vi el biopic Bohemiam Rhapsody (que grandes eran )a raiz de esto me informé de toda su existencia y trágica y dolorosa muerte que pena! An essential read not just for fans of Queen and their iconic frontman, but anyone intrigued to know more about one of music’s most endearing and enduring performers. For a man who seldom spoke, in "A Life, In His Own Words", Freddie says it all: “There are times when I wake up and I think, “My God!

His rise to fame in the band followed by the media coverage of his lifestyle and finally his tragic passing due to AIDS have been well documented in books, documentaries, and even the film Bohemian Rhapsody. I think Queen songs are pure escapism, like going to see a good film – after that, people can go away, and go back to their problems. Prior to starting this book I told myself I would give it an honest star-rating that was not at all influenced by my Freddie Mercury-loving bias.

But as the pages turn, we see a Freddie Mercury gradually changing the priorities in his life to one more sedate and necessarily changed by the cloud of the HIV/AIDS virus beginning to shadow the gay community. So, what you need to know about this book is that it is not an autobiography in the usual sense of the world.

The nearest thing to a Freddie Mercury autobiography as it is possible to achieve, “A Life, In His Own Words” is a meticulously assembled collection of moving, witty, and often irreverent quotes from the man himself.

I've read almost all of the biographies out there about Freddie Mercury, and I learned something from each one, but this book is the one that will make you feel like you really got to know the man behind the legend.

There’s also no set chronology, only themes to start chapters off and occasional notes to give the readers greater context of the time, place, or person Freddie is discussing. But I loved the book content so much that it really left me with no other choice than to rate it 5 stars.

Freddie Mercury is one of my icons, and the tragedy of his passing touches me very strongly as a member of the LGBTQ+ community. Il primo libro che ho letto nel 2019 è stato, evidentemente, tutta colpa di Bohemian Rhapsody: dopo aver visto il film per la seconda volta (e devo dire che, nonostante fosse in sala da un mese, c’era ancora un sacco di gente a vederlo), ho sentito il bisogno di tornare a sentire le parole originali di quel birbante che era Freddie Mercury. There were parts of this book that were clearly adapted from interviews of Freddie Mercury and you could almost tell that there was context missing, such as the question asked or perhaps something else he said that hadn’t been recorded. Also, putting all of his words on a page really makes you realize how intelligent and articulate of a person he was. I'll be honest here, I hadn't heard before that Freddie has an autobiography and the words his life in his own words picked my interest.He talked so much about how important Queen was to him on so many differing levels throughout his career. A man determined to succeed to the point of willing to be “frivolous and preposterous” to win over an audience—“I love the feeling of it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment